Monday, August 3, 2009

Past two days

Florida has a great scene!

Yesterday:

We played the sweetest venue. It was kind of a punk DIY thing. There was a quote on their markerboard that said "Community and Unity will keep this place alive." I love it. We all did. We love playing secular venues because it's a great opportunity to engage hurting people. Some of the guys did just that. I got to talk to a singer from one of the local bands that is struggling with his relationship with his dad who doesn't approve of his music/ministry. Having the same past as him, I hope I was able to make an impact on his life for the better. If you're ever in Brandon, Florida, check out the Black Coffee Gallery.

Today:

We spent a lot of time at the beach after an early morning spiritual discussion.

Upon arrival at the venue, Dan asked me "Phil, you're at a church three times the size of a Wal-mart supermart playing a show with thousands upon thousands dollars worth of sound equipment. What's going through your head right now man?"
As many people know, I have a bitter frustration with upper-middle class Christians. Especially those who buy their materialistic safety and security and go to churches that have plasma screens and volleyball teams. Well, this church tonight had a giant volleyball team and big screens. But for once, the experience of being (and playing) in a megachurch did not make me bitter. Everyone I met was loving. It was their first hardcore show and it was a miracle. The head pastor was out of town, and the "elders" approved the idea of letting the show happen. The church's first hardcore show brought in the most kids at a show all tour. We got a full meal - two types of meat, potato salad, macaroni, deserts, soda, tea, pork and beans, etc. It was such a great change to my diet. I have all necessary nutrients and I'm feeling great! Maybe this church feeds its worship teams homecooked meals before they play to get a positive worship experience for the whole church. Anyway, we also got offered use of showers and the washer and dryer. Tonight we're going to have a Halo party all night. I would just like to say that for all of the money that goes into church facilities here (and even though I could pick some bones about it), the church is at least bearing some legitimate fruit :)

I'll have pictures of these venues up at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment